Saturday, May 15, 2010

Running: Day Twenty and Twenty-One

Yesterday I ran with Katie for 25 minutes. It was terrible. Katie was fine, but I felt sick. I felt so badly that I had to stop and walk for a couple of minutes. I did continue to run, even after I walked, but I just felt horrible the whole time.

Needless to say, I was rather discouraged. Even though I didn't quit, and I kept on going, I still felt defeated.

So, today, I went running pretty early in my day. It's Saturday, so I have the option to go whenever I want, which I very much so like. I got up, ate breakfast, got dressed, and went on out. I was very nervous, because I was running by myself and I had such an awful day yesterday.

However, my worst fears were not realized.

I think I had the best running day today that I've ever had. I ran 2 miles!! I felt great too. I made a conscious effort to focus on my breathing, rather than my legs. That way I could pace myself better, and listen to my body for cues as to my abilities.

And I really focused on my music. I listen to Pandora while I run on my iPhone, and today I listened to the Black-Eyed Peas station. I loved it. What I'm about to confess will probably make many of you question my sanity and/or our friendship, but I have to tell you anyway. Honesty is the best policy. I tried to think of the songs as defining my relationship with running. For instance, this song came on that basically was saying "shut up, I'm crazy for loving you, why can't I quit you?" (Okay, maybe not quite that last part, but that was the essence of this song.) I totally thought of that as my relationship with running! I mean, I must be seriously crazy to run. And then the song came on that says, "I know you want me, you know I want you." Again, I thought of myself and running. It's true, I do want running. And running wants me. So we made it work today.

Then the last song that come on, which pushed me on to my 2 miles, was that song "I love to move it move it." I mean, seriously. How perfect for running!

Overall, today was fantastic. It was so encouraging to be able to do exactly what I wanted to do.
Hopefully, these days will become the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment